Friday March 16

SPRING BREAK!  Yes, Noah and I will have ALL next week off!  And I have heard it is still supposed to be nice so I am hoping we can get in some good days of playing outside and cleaning up the yard.

I thought I would share a little story about my family's background.  My mother is Irish and she once told me a story about a race to Ireland centuries ago.  The story goes something like this:

 The Story of the Bloody Hand-O'Neill Family Legend
In the story the leader of the O’Neill clan was in a dispute over a parcel of land with another clan leader. They agreed to have a race and whoever touched the desired land first with his right hand would claim it for his clan and become King.
The two raced over land, then water, and as they approached the disputed land O’Neill realized he was about to lose. Thinking quickly, he took out his sword, cut off his right hand and threw it to the shore ahead of his rival. The land was his, and he became king. From that day forward, the sign of the Bloody Hand has been on the O’Neill family crest and has been part of O’Neill family lore.

I have always thought this was a neat part of my family's history and I thought that sharing this on St. Patrick's Day would be perfect!  
Happy St. Patrick's Day Tomorrow!!!  May the luck of the Irish be with you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment