Monday March 3

It is hard to believe but it has been one year since my grandpa passed.  What a year.  Who would have thought that this would be the tumbling point for the rest of my year?  There were so many times this last year that I wanted to call him or go and visit him.  Don't get me wrong we still talk I know he hears me but its not the same.
I came across the eulogy I wrote for his funeral. 

Over the years I have been very blessed to have the Grandpa I have had.  Grandpa Bill was a man that always had something to say.  All of his little words of wisdom one could say!  I can remember as a little girl coming out all dressed up in grandma’s high heels and jewelry.  When I came around the corner into the kitchen grandpa would be waiting and say, hubba-hubba, ding-ding, baby you got everything!  I would giggle and go running back into their bedroom to dress up again.
As I look back on my time with grandpa it brings so many memories.  There were many times that Tyler and I would stay with him and grandma.  If it was nice out we would talk grandpa into racing us from the back of the house to the garden.  And gosh darn, he would win every time!  Maybe it was because he was doing the counting.  Which by the way went like this: One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and four to go!  And we would all take off! 
You also never wanted to say you were bored because guess what game he would choose?  That’s right those of you that were ever around him enough he would say well we can always choose up sides and smell arm pits!  Thankfully, we never had to play that game! 
When we all got older we knew that him and grandma would be at ALL of our events.  They didn’t miss a single event (whether it was a vocal concert or a sporting event they would be there). 
As I continue to reflect, I think about the time I got to live with grandpa when I was in college and for a year before I was married.  Every summer I would come home to stay with grandpa.  You know what he charged me for rent?  I had to make homemade food once in a while for him and help him keep the house clean!  One of his favorite meals was ham balls or roast beef or hamburgers and potatoes or sweet corn or well you get the idea!  He liked food especially if it was homemade.
I know I haven’t hit all of his famous sayings but here are a few more.  A joke of his went like this: I got pulled over by the cops, they told me I needed to get a dog license or a hair cut.  He would say this about each time he got his hair cut by Tori.  Grandpa spent several hours golfing with many of us in this room.  And I know many of you heard him say this numerous times…I am not a golfer, I am a goofer!
In our many conversations that grandpa and I had he would always find a way to state how he wished we were all still playing high school sports because he enjoyed watching us play so much.  He was truly our biggest fan!  Well grandpa, I never told you but I am your biggest fan.  Thank you for all of the memories you have given our family and me.

I know it might seem weird to share this on here but thought it was something that my soul needed today!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment