Beggers Night-Oct. 30

Last night was Begger's Night.  Now those of you not from Central Iowa this is something that the Des Moines Area does, you go Trick or Treating the night before Halloween.  Why?  Well clear back in 1938 the Des Moines Police Department answered a record of 550 calls of vandalism.  In short, a community group suggested trick or treating the night before and kids were to go around telling a joke to get a treat.  So if in the Des Moines Area for trick or treating be ready to tell you joke on October 30! 
For me I was surprised by all of this.  You would think growing up only an hour from Des Moines we would have heard of this.  But in Creston we trick or treated on Halloween (most of the time) and didn't have to tell jokes!  When Randy told me about having to tell jokes, I thought he was crazy and he looked at me like I was insane because I had never heard of this.  At that point, several years ago I did some research on it and it is mainly the Des Moines area that does the joke for a treat thing!  Kinda cute and funny, but man do the kids have a lot of pressure coming up with that perfect joke!  (ha!)  But I do think more communities are going to the joke thing because in my current research I am finding this to be a little bit more of a common thing! 

Back to Begger's Night:  Memphis had a great time!  Noah was with his mom so still no pictures of Noah all Halloweened out!  We went around Peggy and Craig's neighborhood (as we live on a busy street and just didn't want to deal with traffic).  As we were leaving, we noticed the Johnston Fire Department was having trick or treating so we stopped and Memphis got to see the fire trucks and was so close to getting to sit in the seat but the bell sounded and they had to send the truck out!  Just our luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment